Insights · December 8th, 2022
With all of the current hype I asked ChatGPT to ‘write an article on the top 10 reasons generative AI will change the world’. This article – ‘Generative AI will change the world – Machine vs. Human Edition’ – is what that system says followed by my human perspective to round things out.
What the Machine said
Generative AI, which involves the use of deep learning algorithms to generate new content, has the potential to change the world in many ways. In this article, we will explore the top 10 reasons why generative AI will have a major impact on our world.
- Generative AI can create entirely new content. This could include everything from music and art to entire websites or even entire movies. The implications of this are huge and could revolutionize many different industries.
- Generative AI can improve existing content. For example, a generative AI algorithm could be used to make existing music tracks more interesting or engaging. This could benefit the music industry by making existing music more appealing to audiences.
- Generative AI can help automate tedious or time-consuming tasks. For example, a generative AI algorithm could be used to automatically generate reports or other documents, freeing up people to focus on more important tasks.
- Generative AI can help reduce bias. By using deep learning algorithms to generate new content, generative AI can help reduce the influence of human bias on the content that is created.
- Generative AI can improve personalized experiences. By using deep learning algorithms to generate content that is tailored to individual users, generative AI can help improve the user experience and make it more enjoyable.
- Generative AI can improve the accuracy of predictions. By using deep learning algorithms to analyze large amounts of data, generative AI can help make more accurate predictions about the future.
- Generative AI can help protect against counterfeiting. By generating unique content that is difficult to replicate, generative AI can help protect against counterfeiting and other forms of fraud.
- Generative AI can help improve security. By generating unique content that is difficult to predict, generative AI can help improve security by making it more difficult for hackers to guess passwords or access sensitive information.
- Generative AI can help improve search results. By using deep learning algorithms to generate new content, generative AI can help improve the accuracy and relevance of search results, making it easier for users to find the information they are looking for.
- Generative AI can help drive innovation. By generating entirely new content, generative AI has the potential to drive innovation and open up new opportunities for creative expression and exploration.
Overall, generative AI has the potential to change the world in many ways. Its ability to create entirely new content, improve existing content, automate tedious tasks, and reduce bias are just a few of the reasons why generative AI will have a major impact on our world.
The Human response
This is all well and good. In fact, it’s really good if you have lower standards for divergent and creative thought when exploring new ideas or creative directions.
It’s no surprise that there is an average level of thought and homogeneity in this. Large language models process what is out in the world. It’s terrible at speculating on what may come next beyond more of the same, just faster and better. Like an automated techbro startup CEO in all reality.
The above 10 reasons seem to be related to tech solutions to tech problems that can be fixed vs. deeply human challenges of community, social cohesion, mental health and wellness, and personal growth. This is the limitation – lack of empathy for the human condition. That of joy and struggle. Of elation and depression. Of serendipity and planned experience.
People often ask me – will the machines take over? What will we do?
The answer is simple – at no point in history has technology replaced humans wholesale. It’s shifted the systems around to demand us to do new things, however it’s never more than human and the machine. We are cyborgs and ChatGPT – and other tools like that – are just things we can refer to as productivity mechanisms.
ChatGPT is a primer and sandpit for experimentation when riffing on old and obvious thinking – that’s fine. Be aware that there is bias and lack of true humanity in that part of the creative journey. We have to step up to add real heart and soul. That’s the true calling for us. That’s how we – humans and machines – change the world.
Nikolas Badminton is the Chief Futurist at futurist.com. He’s a world-renowned futurist speaker, consultant, author, media producer, and executive advisor that has spoken to, and worked with, over 300 of the world’s most impactful organizations and governments. He helps shape the visions that shape impactful organizations, trillion-dollar companies, progressive governments, and 200+ billion dollar investment funds.
You can preorder ‘Facing Our Futures’ at Amazon, Bloomsbury, Barnes and Noble and other fine purveyors of books. We’s also love it if you considered pre-ordering from your local, independent book store as well.Please contact futurist speaker and consultant Nikolas Badminton to discuss your engagement or event.